I'm still on the prowl for a job, but in the meantime I've been jamming the guitar, working on my fitness and doing a lot of hiking. Gotta get the body back into shape before the ski season. I don't want to be that girl that stops half way down the mountain out of breath, fakes wanting to take a picture of the scenery, but really grabs her inhaler. So I've been running all over my stinking hill, tramping through the woods, doing crunches like a mad woman, and doing squats outside. I better make it down the mountain after all this work.
I went out on the town with my flatmate two nights ago. Her friend, Teresa is my age and is traveling on her own from Germany. We got along really well and I'm looking forward to snowboarding with her this season. She is trying to talk me into moving to Austria after the ski season here...and offered me a job and free accommodation. Hmmm very tempting.
We sat in a small bar for a while talking about East and West Germany and the Berlin Wall. My flatmate was 10 years old when it came down and she remembers it all very well. I'm a huge history buff so I enjoyed that--But not as much as I enjoyed the 30 men that walked in during the conversation. A huge convention had just ended at a major hotel and they picked our bar to hang out in. Free drinks on them. YES. We had a great time dancing and met people from all over. I even met a guy that played on the golf team at SMU in Dallas. Small world eh?
The best part of the night was when Teresa had a guy hit on her that was half her size....not that Teresa is a big girl. This just means he was as tall as my 13 year old brother and skinnier than me. Although, he did have a handsome face, there was no way he would be able to carry Teresa across the threshold on the night of their honeymoon. And boy's, that is a big deal for a girl. Anyway, Teresa and I were laughing about it in the bathroom (she already makes me laugh because of her German accent) and you know that phrase, "A man that has big feet, wears big shoes...." or something along those lines....well I guess the German phrase is something about big thumbs. "A man with big thumbs has big toes....?" I couldn't stop laughing at Teresa trying to explain this phrase to me. As we walked back to the table, she told me that she would just show me instead of try to explain it. We made it back to the boys and got comfortable in our seats again. We couldn't stop giggling, so she made her move. She grabbed the little man's hand revealing his thumb.
Well it turns out....he didn't have a thumb. It had been cut off as a child in an accident. I've never laughed so hard at something so tragic. He thought we were making fun of his nubby thumb which made us feel terrible but we couldn't stop laughing.
I ended up going home at 4 a.m. with all my money still in my clutch. It was an epic night and I made a new friend.
My attitude has been better about not having a job. I got pretty down for a while....I guess I just needed a little girl time, a drink, and a good laugh. Teresa can't find a job either so I know it's not just me dealing with crappy luck. In the mean time it's guitar and fitness.
Hi M! I love reading about your travels. It sounds like an amazing experience, and I'm so glad that you are jumping in there and doing it. It does worry me a little when you say things like "hitch a ride", so please be very careful (as I am sure you are).
ReplyDeleteNews on the homefront--Your dad is trying to set me up with some 56 year old man--ewwww--that's nearly old enough to be my father! YIKES! He thinks I'm crazy that I don't want to give it a try, but seriously, would you want to go out with someone who is 17 years older than you??? Anyway, I appreciate that your parents are trying to match me up with someone. Hopefully they can find someone a little closer to my age. It is rainy here and there was a huge tornado at Bushland last night, but it did not damage anything. It even made the TODAY Show on NBC this morning. More bad weather expected for the next couple of days.
Have fun and good luck with the job hunt. You are doing the right thing by hitting the streets and going in person. It will all work out. Love, Cheryl (aka Miss Foard--LOL)
Miss Foard!! So good to hear from you! I laughed out loud when I read that my dad is trying to play match maker...he is always trying to set me up with brokers as well. I say go for it. A free meal and nice chat never hurt. What's the worst that could happen? That is terrible about the tornado, but good to know no one was hurt. I'm glad that the panhandle made it to NYC...I remember when i wore my Ding Dong Dolly from Dumas Texas t-shirt to the TODAY show and Al Roker loved it! What a nerd! Hope everything is going well back home! Go out with the poor fellow...haha. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteMadison! Omg I could not stop laughing at your story with Teresea! That is freakin' hilarious! Love the post and glad you're back on FB!! Love you
ReplyDelete