Saturday, April 24, 2010

Living like a Giant

I’ve jumped out of planes, off bridges, and boulders. I’ve flown a plane and walked across a glacier. I’ve been fly fishing in the mountains of New Zealand, learned an instrument on my own, and driven nascar. I’ve gone skinny-dipping in the ocean and stuck around till sunrise. I’ve lived in another country and traveled alone. I’ve eaten snails, rollie-pollies, oysters, and eel. I witnessed the first black man become President. I spent more money on getting a tattoo removed than I did getting it done. I’ve stayed out late drinking too much I puke, graduated college, and worked in the American society. I’ve fallen in love and had my heart broken. 

I’ve been living like a giant because I think the older you get, the window of opportunity gets smaller, as well as the desire. I'm 22 years old and I’ve done a lot of things in my life...things that most people will never get the chance or opportunity to do. I'm living out my dream.  

I made my first "Bucket List" when I was 17 in Mrs. Fox’s class. I brought it with me to New Zealand because I knew I would complete it here. Surprisingly, I'm still alive and I'm pretty proud of myself. I made a new one tonight because I think it’s important to not only have goals but to smile along the way. So here is my new list in no particular order.

1)    Witness a baby being born
2)    Work on a fishing boat even if it's only 1 day
3)    Get better at cooking, guitar, speaking french, and controlling my temper.
4)    Drive coast to coast in America--Every American should do this and I hate that I didn’t before I left. 
5)    Give someone a guitar
6)    Talk to a war veteran from WWII--that war fascinates me
7)    Give a homeless man all the money I have on me…when I actually have a significant amount in my wallet and not just change. I know deep down I don’t deserve it either.
8)    Get my Pilots license and take my little brother flying
9)    Save people/ or at least someone who does not know Jesus
10) Dog sled in Alaska
11) Break glass with a hammer like in cartoons
12) Camp out in Montana for a week
13) Catch the Red Eye from Vegas
14) Travel to Africa, Thailand, and Australia
15) Milk a cow
16) Cage dive with sharks

Maybe I’ll make a different list one day and won’t want the same things. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to share most of these with someone along the way. And Maybe God will direct me down a different path. I have faith in that and love knowing that I'm right where I am supposed to be. 




2 comments:

  1. i love this bucket list, maybe i can can experience some of these things with you. Though, you forgot one thing, you need to publish a book about everything you have experienced. you are truly an inspiration to other people, and i love you for it. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-I'm thinking that we can do the dog-sledding in Alaska together, possibly the cage diving, and definitely spend a few hours in the kitchen together while you teach me your little cooking tricks. If I wrote a book, then I would need a really good editor haha. I miss you and dad so very much! I love you xoxo!

    ReplyDelete