Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New Faces

The day started out with a hike up the Queenstown Hill to check out the scenery. I took the gondola with Victoria and Jordan 2 weeks ago, so it was nice to see the nature side of it. I went with my friend Wayne from England. After a long hike, we went to the liquor store and bought 4 beers and sat at the beach with 4 Germans. The German guys taught me a game with stockings and sand that you juggle. I was terrible at it. It was so fun to just relax and talk to people that don't really care what you do, or how you're dressed, or your history. The only things that mattered in that hour, were juggling sand and drinking a good beer.

When Wayne and I got back to the hostel, our roommates had left and new guys had moved in. Again, I was stuck with 7 boys. A guy from Germany, Martin. 2 boys from Wales, Aaron and Charley. Alex from Brazil. And Steve from England. We never met the other guy....he was never around. It was really weird how we all hit it off really quickly. We all were so entirely different but got along so well. The conversation went from places that we've traveled to in New Zealand to different drinking games that we all played in University/College. One of the guys decided that we would play a drinking game from each country instead of going out because it would be cheaper. I've never had so much fun playing drinking games...I felt like I was back in school. We sat on the floor in between our bunk beds and threw a deck of cards around for hours....definitely a night for the books.

At 3 a.m. we all decided that cereal sounded extremely good but the hostel kitchen was closed. I was the only one small enough to get through the window, which meant I had to climb outside onto another balcony and get through the open window to the kitchen. Sooo....I pulled a spider man stunt and got to the cereal. After spotting a camera staring me down, I panicked and threw my body out the window and landed on a nail. So now my foot hurts but it was incredibly funny. I was too intoxicated to care anyway.

This morning we woke up laughing about the night before. Martin had made a $2 dollar soup for us and we sat on the floor spooning out this meal in our pajamas. Soup for breakfast. I've just been laughing all day. I have another flatmate appointment in an hour, but then we are heading to the beach to soak up some sun and play the guitar. I've had a great couple of days and met some really cool guys. They are leaving tomorrow unfortunately, but maybe I'll meet some girls soon.

2 comments:

  1. I just love reading your blog!! Can't wait to be there friendy!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison you are so cool! I love this keep 'em coming sister!

    ReplyDelete