Thursday, July 1, 2010

June Snow Brings July Happiness

The month of June has been wonderful. I got an amazing job and made so many new friends from all over the world. Here are some pictures of the last few weeks. 
Group shot of the 2010 Remarks Liftys.
During training week we had to hike to the top of the mountain as a group. This was the best way to break in my new snowboarding boots. It was also the best workout!
Making our way to the top of the mountain.
After a long hike up to the top, we all had our "moment" with the mountain. This is overlooking Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu. There are moments in life you'll never forget. This was one of those moments for me. 
While hiking back to the bottom, we all noticed the snowboarder guy made in the snow. Can you see him? Obviously this is not a marked run. People traverse to the top with their skis and boards on their backs to get the first tracks of the season. 

Early morning before opening. This is the parking lot at the bottom of the ski field. We literally overlook the clouds all day.
Same morning....we get to the mountain before the moon goes to sleep. I love how the snow glows. Eventhough it's freezing, seeing this is a great way to start off your day. I'd never tell my fellow co-workers, but I listen to Christmas music on my ipod all the way to work. It feels like December here and I just can't help myself sing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" under my breath.

Lifty Bungee night. Katie I hope this brings back some good memories. 


Working on the mountain has opened a lot of doors for me and brought new ideas to my future. I found that my favorite part of my day is hanging out with the customers (especially the kids) and joking around with them. I get comments everyday about my Texas name badge which starts up some pretty funny conversations.

This last week was the Australian school holidays, so we had thousands of Aussies come over to ski. I came up with a game for all the kids going through ski and snowboarding school. They had to yell my secret password before they went through my line. At the end of the day, my boss asked me why kids were screaming "BANANA!" and "DOG BREATH" at me all day. I think I have about 70 kids that know me by my first name now. Their parents, the instructors, and the kids loved it. It's little stuff like that makes my day so enjoyable. 

I will be getting back to the states right when the American ski season starts, which keeps the wheels turning in my head. I'd love to get certified to become an instructor so I can hang out with kids all day while snowboarding. The lifty paycheck will just not cut it back in the states. An instructing job is just something to consider and I'm certain would make me very happy. 

Who knows what I'll be doing when I get back to the states...I do know that right now, I am so completely happy. This month has been amazing. I am learning so much and continue to experience something new everyday.  Yesterday I stood in a blizzard all day helping people get on to lifts safely. As I stood there and danced in circles to stay warm, I realized I'm not at a desk staring out the window, wishing I was outside playing like I was last year. I get to play outside everyday! 

July should be just as great as June, if not better. My birthday is in a couple weeks and I'll be 23. I remember some of my friends hating birthdays because it means you're getting "old".  I honestly can't wait until my birthday. I feel like this trip has taught me so much and inside I feel like a new person. A stronger soul, and more wise than I was when I left. A birthday is just proof that I'm growing up inside and out. God continues to bless me and I'm so thankful for each day, week, and year.

No comments:

Post a Comment