Thursday, December 16, 2010

I'll be home for Christmas...


I’ve been living in Winter Park, Colorado the last month, spending my days waitressing at a local diner, and my nights sleeping on a brown retro couch inside an shoebox apartment. Katie, my best friend from my hometown in Texas, offered to let me live on her couch for $150 a month, and considering all I had when I came back to the States was $40 in Hong Kong money, the couch seemed like a bargain. Not a typical job a college graduate would get, but it’s a great way to get back on my feet after going through all my savings traveling. 




Katie and I having a snowball fight in our pajamas....missed her so much. 

Although I have been in the States for about a month now, I've only actually been able to spend two whole days with my family since I had a job opportunity here in Winter Park. Being back in America has been amazing….it’s been the little things like being able to surprise my little brother at school with lunch, or waking up to my mom's footsteps in the hallway heading out the door, ready to take the dogs for a walk. I was away so long, and don’t regret one day of traveling, but it sure does make you realize how many small things make up your life. 

I've been working double shifts all week at work. Obviously, we all know I need the money, especially around the holidays. It's been a struggle, but nothing like my New Zealand money troubles. 

Friday, I get to drive home after work and then I'll drive up to Oklahoma with my dad. Road trip with dear old dad, something I've missed out on for a long time. I'm looking forward to eating sunflower seeds all the way there, while my dad speeds down all the farm highways, my dog riding shotgun planted right in my lap. I've never been so excited to travel to Oklahoma! It's been over a year since I've seen my grandparents, or even my cousins for that matter. Family will make the Christmas holiday feel like a real Christmas. 

For the first time in my life, I'm praying we don't get snow this year. I have had my share of white powder the last 6 months, and a little sunshine on the Christmas tree wouldn't hurt. Christmas morning, you'll find me at home around the fireplace and Christmas tree with my family (and of course the dogs)....which is right where I belong.

Have yourself a Merry little Christmas... 

No comments:

Post a Comment