Thursday, October 21, 2010

E noho ra, Aotearoa

Goodbye New Zealand

My last few days in New Zealand were more magical than I thought was possible. To try and fit them all into one story in an hour, just wouldn’t do them justice. My cheeks hurt from smiling all week, yet my heart aches. I don't want to leave it all just yet. 

I leave New Zealand in a few hours. I sit in the Auckland airport with several things racing through my mind.

For numerous personal reasons, I have spent the last year in New Zealand. I expected to learn a lesson or two while on my journey, but never imagined all the trials and tests I’d be put through. New Zealand educated me more about myself than I ever actually anticipated, and for that I am grateful. I would love to say that I am a changed woman and am responsible and more mature than ever. But in all honesty, I’m still the girl that irresponsibly presses the snooze button way too many times in the morning, plays with her food, and occasionally forgets to put gasoline into my car (or friends cars). Although, I can say that I have a deeper appreciation for family, independence, money, and food. You don’t realize how precious those things are until they are millions of miles away. I’ve grown tremendously in my relationship with God, which is probably what I’m most proud of this last year. I know that New Zealand is right where the good Lord wanted me. Instead of doing what I feel is right at the time, I now move in his direction and at his pace, just as fast or slow as he allows.

This journey was intended to be a personal growth/independent experience. I knew I would make plenty of friends, but made sure to stay away from the boys so they wouldn’t distract me. Funny how most things happen when you least expect them to. Well, I’ve fallen in love with a kiwi boy. But like the saying goes...Shit happens. You can't help when and who you fall in love with. 

“Changed” is a strong word. I don’t like to think I needed to change tremendously in the first place. Maybe make a few improvements, but not change. “Different” is the word I’d rather use…but the good kind of different of course.

Planted firmly at my gate, I sit with my guitar and backpack next to me. I leave for Thailand in a few minutes and I am terrified. Not because Thailand is dangerous, but because I'm leaving the place that I fell in love with and don't know when or if I'll ever return. 

Two years ago, I dreamed that I’d be living in New Zealand.

I did it. I conquered New Zealand. 

1 comment:

  1. Madi!

    This made me cry a little. :) You are such an inspiration, no only to me, but I am assuming to everyone who has read your blog for the past year. I am so glad that you found something that happens once in a lifetime....LOVE I can't wait to hear more about the Kiwi Boy and what happens with y'all's relationship. I wish you the best and I wish your relationship the best.
    Love Ya Girlie,

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete